We are issuing a special call for papers to be presented at DBM-V in a session focusing on “The Marketing and Branding of Conflict-Ridden Destinations.” Interested contributors should email papers or proposals to long-time DBM pioneer Erdinç Çakmak of NHTV, who will be chairing this special session (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Special session description on THE MARKETING AND BRANDING OF CONFLICT-RIDDEN DESTINATIONS:
Political disasters could generate potentially longer negative effect on the marketing of a destination (Beirman, 2001). Although much research within tourism has focused on well-known tourism destinations, few research consider conflict-ridden destinations, which confront greater challenges to achieving destination marketing objectives. Recognizing the greater importance of destination marketing and its programs ( Fyall, Garrod & Wang, 2012), here is a vital opportunity for extending our current knowledge towards conflict-ridden destinations and their marketing challenges and opportunities. In this session the focus will be on the various types of conflict-ridden destinations (see for example Çakmak & Isaac, 2012).
- Case studies related to destination marketing and branding in conflict-ridden areas
- New types of tourism, e.g. political tourism and justice tourism
- Correcting negative image of conflict-ridden destinations
- Destination crisis marketing
- Effective destination marketing organisations (DMOs) in conflict-ridden destinations and contested interests of tourism stakeholders